This is a Red Templar Fire raptor. There is not much information to build upon when coming up with a scheme for this model other that they are an Imperial Fist successor chapter. They wear red with gold trim and have a white fleur-de-lis.
This in not much to go on but if all else fails, go Starsky and Hutch!
I’m going bright red with a white stripe down the side and so far all is well. This is a much nicer kit than the Storm Eagle which is a pig to build. This one went together very well and the filling was minimal.
So far it is built and has the base coat on that was built up from yellow. I am really liking the red as it really pops and works great with the pre-shades.
Red Templars Update 1st May 2017
Now that the other projects are out of the way I have now been able to concentrate on the Fire Raptor. I’ve been having a lot of fun with it and I have taken some inspiration from the Star Wars Y-wing and have tried to make as much of the back end as open as possible.
The gloss coat is on and as there is very little information on the chapter available, I will be adding some homemade decals before going to the pin wash.
Red Templars Update 12th May 2017
The homemade decals are on. They were a bit trickier than I thought they would be however I am really happy with how they have come out. The Starski and Hutch look is working well and the fleur-de-lis has held up.
As a side note to anyone looking to use decal paper make sure that you put plenty of varnish on them before you commit to getting them wet. Without a thick top layer they shrivel up into a ball as soon as you look at them.
I have finished all the base coat's and I'm on to the weathering and making this look like it belongs in the grim dark future. I'm quite pleased with the heat bloom on the gun barrels.
Red Templars Update 25th May 2017
We can call this one done. The final build and finish was completed this weekend and was sent out to the client on Monday. I am happy with the whole look of the model and having to go for a more realistic finish as opposed to a more comic style really worked and I’m very happy with how the decals came out. I am also really proud of the base as making a desert base interesting can be a bit hit and miss but I am glad this one was a hit.
I’m a little sad to see it go as I would have loved to see it on the table top. However I know that the client is really happy to be fielding this in his army.
Overall this has been a much better model to build in comparison to the Storm Eagle I put together for my Night Lords and I am very tempted to add one to one of my armies.